This article covers everything you need to know about building subsidence insurance claims.

If you believe your property may have been a victim of ground subsidence then the best course of action is to contact your home insurance provider.

Your insurer will advise you to get a structural survey carried out for the property, depending on your insurer they may provide one themselves or as you to get an independent survey done and then reimburse you.

Usual types of building insurance cover the damage caused by ground subsidence i.e. your properties structure. Unfortunately, the insurance may not cover damage covered to other parts of your property such as your garden walls, gates, patios or driveways.

If your case of subsidence is minor, the movement has stopped or can be stopped then a repair will be carried out. Processes such as crack stitching will be used to strengthen the affected areas and repointing will be used to cover the cracks so they’re no longer visible.

If your property is severely damaged and the engineer who carried out the survey has stated that the ground is still moving then a monitoring device will be installed. The monitoring device will be able to give further details to the engineer such as the speed and direction of the movement by collecting data over a period of time.

Once the monitor has picked up enough data the engineer will then be able to suggest a method that should combat the movement and reinforce your structure. One method used is called underpinning. The underpinning process consists of extending your properties foundations to a deeper depth which adds extra support to your existing structure.

All of these things should be covered on your home insurance. If you require more information about building subsidence insurance claims or need a structural survey we have highly qualified engineers that can help with your issue so feel free to contact us.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!